I joined an adult kickball league a few months ago. I have been meaning to write about it but I never knew what to say. However, now that my first season is winding down, I have been reflecting back on what a killer decision I made.
Now as any social group I tend to join, my first encounter was kind of awkward. It was the kind of awkward where the teams had their first meet up at a bar you sit in the bathroom texting your one contact to meet you at a certain point in the bar so you're not wandering around alone like a god damn nerd trying to look for people you don't know what they look like; but your contact doesnt respond so eventually you gather up the courage to venture out to the yuppie filled bar and walk up to a group and go "HEY GUYS! Are you on the dodgeball league?! I just joined and don't know anyone" and they respond with "uhmmm do you mean the kickball league?.." so obviously I make a 180 and retreated back to the bathroom stall which i have just emerged from until my contact mets me. Then I danced with a girl on another team and a bunch of people started thinking I was a lesbian and idk it was a weird time.
Anyways. So my friend from work Larry was the one who told me about this league in the first place. He doesn't usually show up because he says "kickball is more fun when you're single" which duh just like most social drinking clubs are. I told him he should come anyways however he said he would rather hang out with his girlfriend than go out because he loves her and loves spending time with her... which like *in robot voice* does-not-compute to me. People actually like hanging out with their girlfriend? That is so silly... psh so silly... soooooo sooooooooo silly. Pshh... psh.
Anywho... Larry told me when I joined "whatever you do, do not become a kickball hoe". I pulled it off all cool like "whoa what do you mean? You think I would be a hoe?" and he goes "just dont do it. watch out for it"
Okay so I understand what he means. Because our FIRST GAME, everyone can already distinguish what a kickball hoe and who is not. At our first game there was a fucking girls in bunny ears on and their god damn tatas out for the world to see. I thought to myself "ahh... so this league IS perfect for single people!"
It is hard not to get lost in the simplicity of the whole league. We are playing a game that most people haven't been familiar with since grade school, drink while playing, and then go to the bar where we all look like shit after playing! No pressure of dressing to impress or being someone you are not. No wonder so many people find someone to hook up with, after playing a kickball game in this humid weather you can pretty much only look like a 6 or 7 a best at the bar, so we all kind of have a chance with anyone. You hang out with your team, play drinking games and are amongst a bunch of other young adults who literally just want to have fun on that thursday night and dread that Friday morning office hangover. The best part is half my team works at my company so we can give each other the little point and nod at the office the next day with eyes that say "heyyyyyy I know why you need that gatorade". I was in love; and I love my team. This is all I had ever wanted
I feel like most people feel like this about their team, but I felt like my team could be the basis of a movie. We were an eclectic group of individuals with no drama and all just had the drive to drink and have fun. Even the few interrelationships that happened throughout the season between teammates created literally no friction. The guys on our team were fun and funny and the girls were finally cool girls I could hang out with. One stands in the field and dances the whole game, another one brings her cup out to the field when she plays second base and keeps a stern eye on it making sure it doesn't tip over; these are my ladies. And the best part about the team was... we kept winning! Sometimes it didn't even feel like we tried, we just kept winning game after game and going out and having a good time doing it. Some teams you would see a coach standing on the side screaming at everyone and people getting really pissed when someone messed up But not us, I mean not all of us even had cleats (that was me). On our team we just kind of played and the most we ever got yelled at was when we were too drunk on the field and our coach threatened to make us stop drinking, but he was drunk too I'm pretty sure so stuff it Ruskin, you would never do that to us. It is funny to think back to the first time I hung out with them and how I was chugging beers to make myself less nervous and more social and now we are all good friends who dance and hulahoop on the dance floor and buy shots for each other from teh bartender named Mickey. Next week we have playoffs, which made me sad because that means the league was ending... however not really because it starts back up mid October! Huzzah!!!
It was funny because I was reading an article on Cosmo that was called 12 Tips For Surviving the Transition From College To Real Person and tip #4 was literally
4. Do new things. Like, join a cornhole team. Or a kickball team, which is a thing people do now to meet each other and feel a little fratty while they're at it.
This made me very happy. Very good decision I made and I encourage others to do it. Perfect for the young professional and also great if you are single because everyone is hot and friendly. I cannot wait until next season.
Also I know half my team reads my blog so HI GUYS! #TeamStrangerDanger see you Thursday!

No comments:
Post a Comment