So being a 22 fresh out of college, everyone in the office expects me to be slightly unprofessional however I am still help to the professional standard of a 40 year old who has been in the workforce for so many years. Also, being new, a girl, young, naive, and having no clue how to do my job, I am also the perfect target to prank. Today I was pranked... and I made sure everyone found out about it.... accidentally.
In my job I am a medical staffer where I call physicians and find them positions are hospitals. As a new person, I am basically making cold calls and have been told countless times to not expect anything exciting my first whole year. Well I made my very first call, left a voicemail, and hung up. I felt good because the first one I knew would be the hardest.
All of a sudden my phone rings, IT WAS THE DOCTOR I JUST CALLED!
Me: Hello this is Kelly!
Doc: Hey you just called me
Me: Hey doctor! I was just calling because I had an amazing opportunity in....
--Go on with sales pitch over position. At this point I am beyond excited because just for me to recruit a doctor into our system was enough to make me look good and learn about the next stages in placing a doctor. I couldnt believe it! My first call and I already was talking to a doctor and getting his information! And he sounded genuinly interested in the position. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?! Also keep in mind this is in an accent--
Me: Hey doctor I am going to send you more information on this job and you can look at your availability. When you get to your desk will you send me your CV?
Doc: You sound pretty, you send me picture.
--No freaking way was I doing that. But rumor had it from other girls in the office that this kind of thing happens all the time and the best thing you can do is keep it cool. Because if you stay friendly, you can still probably book a gig! And honestly since I worked in a bar for two years, lets face it I'm not above dealing with clients saying stuff like this--
Me: hahah aww well thanks but no way doc.
Doc: You send me picture
Me: I'm sorry doctor but I am not sending you a picture
Doc: Yes you sound pretty. Send me pic.
Me: Look doctor if you go to this facility, stay there for a year, then and only then will you see a picture of me.
--For around a $4,000+ bonus, they can absolutely get a Facebook profile picture.--
Doc: No you send me one now
Me: No doc, I am not just sending you a picture of what I look like with nothing in return. Do you want the job or not?
Doc: Hahahahhahahaha just kidding. Kelly, its Larry. (Larry, a guy on my team three cubicles down from me who had me on speaker so my team could all hear)
At this point I am not only embarrassed, but I am also heart broken. I thought I was about to get my first client! I had all the information set up and was excited to have bragging rights! I felt like it was an omen that I was going to be good at my job. But it wasn't. The whole conversation wasn't real.
Me: GOD DAMN IT ARE YOU SERIOUS?! *slams phone down* *looks up*
A whole room of cubicles is silent looking at me. The only people not silent were people on my team laughing hysterically.
I also couldn't believe I just yelled "god damn it" across my very first office floor. There is no way that is HR appropriate.
I was punkd. Everyone heard about it. Everyone came to my desk and made jokes about it. My boss reassured me "only people who are well liked get pranks pulled on them, its apart of the culture." and then went on to remind me how I don't want to stick out at the 22 year old by yelling profanities across the office.
I sunk into my chair and didn't leave my desk after that. Fuming and brainstorming how I can possibly get back at my collegues to redeem any bit of dignity I have left. On a positive note, everyone knows who I am now... even if its as "The new girl who had that hilarious prank pulled on her by Larry and then yelled 'damn it' across the floor"
TGIF

No comments:
Post a Comment