At lunch on my third day, I met a tall attractive man in probably his late 20s. He had cool tattoos up and down both his arms. He started talking about work and giving tips and I noticed he had an accent. I asked him about it and he told me he was from South Africa and moved here with his family. I responded with "Oh! South Africa! Thats so cool! I bet you hear that line from Mean Girls all the time that goes 'if you're from Africa, why are you white?'" Everyone around us at lunch got quiet, except him who responded with "haha yeah I hear that all the time actually".
I was kinda excited because I had always wanted to use that line in real life... but something I forgot is that we live in a politically correct society where anything and everything is offensive. I was later pulled to the side by a colleague who told me that was an inappropriate thing to say and I shouldn't be making racial jokes in the office...
Well shit. Day three and I'm already a race offender. Apparently not everyone has seen Mean Girls or find Mean Girl references universally appropriate at all times. Office strike #1
"Omg Kelly you just can't just assume racial comments are appropriate conversation"

No comments:
Post a Comment